Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Save Discovery Days!!!

So you know how I just posted about Discovery Days starting today? Well, it did. But guess when it ends? In January! The City Council is cutting the funding for Ms. Stephanie's salary effective January 1st so Discovery Days will be no more unless WE do something about it. PLEASE PLEASE take five minutes RIGHT NOW and go email the Longmont City Council. You can do that either by going to their contact page at http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/city_council/contactform.htm or by emailing them directly using these addresses:

Mayor Julia Pirnack - juliapirnacklg@earthlink.net
Doug Brown, Ward I - dougbrownlg@earthlink.net
Karen Benker, Ward II - karenbenkerlg@earthlink.net
Marty Block, Ward III - marty.block@comcast.net
Mary Blue, At Large - marykblue@msn.com
Roger Lange, At Large - roger_lange@qwest.net
Fred Wilson, At Large - fredwilson@mesanetworks.net

I just finished my email to this group and my main points were that there are very few low cost activities for young children in this city (especially activities that encourage their artistic sides), I would have never set foot in the museum had it not been for Discovery Days, and I know many people who come from outside the city limits to attend this and spend good money while they're here (eating at McDonald's afterwards, for example, puts their outside money into our city's sales tax fund). My children love this escape from the winter blahs since we have very few other places to go in the winter - the mall took out it's (horrible) play place and Itty Bitty City at the Memorial Building on Fridays is a madhouse. We need Discovery Days to stay!!! Please make your opinion known to the city council ASAP so we can try to save this great program!!!

9/5/07 - ETA: The next City Council meeting is next Tuesday, September 11th at 7 pm at the library. I plan on being there to show my support for Discovery Days. Will you join me?

No comments: